To file a 1099-NEC form online you must have at least one filer and one recipient. Filers and recipients can be added beforehand on the Filers and Recipients pages. You can also add a filer and recipient during the form creation process.
In this guide, sample information will be used. When filing a 1099-NEC make sure you enter your own information.
For help with adding filers and recipients, please read the following articles:
Filing a 1099-NEC form online
1. Click Add New Form on the top menu.
2. On the Start a New Filing page, click the 1099-NEC button.
If you want to file a form for a previous year, click on the year and then click on the type of form you want to create. Not all forms are available for every year listed.
3. Select which filer you would like to report the form from. To select a filer, click on the circle icon in the Select column. Once you’ve selected your filer, click Continue.
4. On the Select a recipient page there will be a list of all the recipients associated with the filer you selected. Select the desired recipient and click Continue.
5. After selecting your filer and recipient you’ll be shown a blank 1099-NEC form for the tax season you picked. eFileMyForms will automatically fill in your filer and recipient information based on your previous selections.
If you need detailed instructions on how to fill out a 1099-NEC form click Download Instructions (.pdf). This link allows you to download detailed instructions from the IRS in PDF form. Please read the parts of the document that apply to you because eFileMyForms doesn’t provide tax advice
6. Before you can save this form, enter a dollar value in at least 1 field and make sure that the nonemployee compensation box has a value greater than 0. In this example, we’ll assume that John Doe was an independent contractor who was paid $7,500.00 for his work. To report this, type 7500.00 into box 1.
7. Once you’ve filled out the necessary fields click Save Form.
8. On the Filing Saved page click Add Filing to Cart to begin the checkout process or Create another Form 1099-NEC for 2021 to repeat the form creation process. If you click Add Filing to Cart you will be taken to the Shopping Cart page.
9. On the Shopping Cart page, there are several options for you to consider before checking out and filing your form.
Next, if you want to have a record of your filings, you can click the Summary Report and Totals Report buttons to view and print summaries of the filings in your cart.
10. When you’re ready to check out click Secure Checkout.
11. If this is your first order, enter your billing and payment information first. If you’d like to update your payment information you can click Change this card.
12. Click Review your order.
13. In the Add-on Services box you can add additional services such as TIN masking and TIN matching.
14. Click Submit and Pay.